Cornish Hens with Rice Dressing Recipe
THIS IS a perfect main dish when you're cooking for two. I've even used these hens as a stand-in for turkey on Thanksgiving Day when the group was not large. I found this recipe among my mother's collection. She was always searching newspapers and magazines for new cooking ideas. —Geraldine Grisdale Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1-1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 Cornish hens (1 to 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish, combine the broth, rice, mushrooms, celery, onion, 1/4 teaspoon marjoram and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place hens on rice mixture and brush with oil. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining marjoram and salt.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 840 calories, 49 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 297 mg cholesterol, 1,371 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 56 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC