Cornish Hens with Orange Glaze Recipe
When I make these succulent stuffed Cornish hens, my husband's only complaint is that he gets full before he's ready to quit eating!
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules, divided
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup white wine or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup orange juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute carrot and onion until tender; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in stuffing cubes, parsley, savory, pepper and bacon.
- Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon bouillon in hot water; pour over stuffing mixture and gently toss to moisten. Spoon into hens. Tuck wings under hens; tie legs together.
- Place on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Lightly brush hens with oil; loosely cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the wine, 2 tablespoons orange juice and butter to a boil. Remove from the heat; set aside 1/4 cup for sauce and keep warm.
- Brush remaining mixture over hens. Bake 40-50 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear and a thermometer inserted in stuffing reads 165°, brushing every 15 minutes with glaze.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, and remaining bouillon and orange juice until smooth. Stir in reserved glaze. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with hens. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Glazed Cornish Hens in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p186
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Cornish Hens with Orange Glaze(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review