Cornish Hens Stuffed with Rice Recipe
These moist golden hens are a tradition at our house on Christmas Eve. We think the spiced rice stuffing with cinnamon, sweet raisins and honey goes so well with the birds and makes the meal a special one. -Dorothy Anderson, Ottawa, Kansas
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until tender; remove from the heat. Stir in the rice, raisins, walnuts, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stuff hens.
- 2. Place on a rack in a large shallow baking pan. Rub remaining butter over skin. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 623 calories, 37 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 165 mg cholesterol, 429 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC