A delicate orange flavor makes this stuffing memorable. I serve potatoes and coin carrots alongside the hen for a satisfying meal.
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 to 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon honey, warmed
- 1 tablespoon water
- Peel and section orange; cut each section into quarters and set aside. In a skillet, saute onions and celery in oil until crisp-tender. In a bowl, combine the onion mixture, stuffing mix, orange peel and reserved orange sections. Stir in enough orange juice to just moisten stuffing mixture.
- Arrange stuffing in two mounds in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Place Cornish game hen halves skin side up over stuffing. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 minutes. Combine honey and water. Brush over hens. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cornish Hen with Orange Stuffing in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p152
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Cornish Hen with Orange Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review