- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces)
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Using kitchen shears, cut along both sides of the backbone of the hen; remove backbone and discard. With a sharp knife, split the hen in half through the breast bone. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Grate lemon peel and place peel in a small bowl. Add parsley, steak seasoning and garlic; mix well. Loosen skin on chicken and rub seasonings under and on skin. Brush hen halves with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Heat remaining olive oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Place hen halves in skillet, skin side up. Cook until well-browned, about 5 minutes. Turn the hen halves over. Place 1-2 clean foil-wrapped bricks on top of the hen halves. Bake for 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forCornish Hen Under a Brick
"Delicious! The seasonings were simple but the hens turned out moist and flavorful. I used a cast iron skillet in place of the bricks."