VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled eggplant
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges and seeded
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups hot cooked couscous
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper and chili powder. Add hens, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown hens in oil on all sides.
- Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add broth to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Stir in the eggplant, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, garlic and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. To serve, split hens in half. Serve with couscous and vegetables. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cornish Game Hens with Couscous in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2012, p29