Corned Beef Supper
What better way to celebrate the holiday than with this hearty one-pot meal. The beef, potatoes and carrots are tender and full-flavored. "I often fix this for St. Patrick's Day, but it's good any time of the year," notes Dawn Fagerstrom, a field editor in Warren, Minnesota.
2 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 small carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (1 pound)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cabbage wedges
- Place onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with carrots, potatoes and
- brisket. Combine the apple juice, cloves, brown sugar, orange peel,
- mustard and contents of spice packet; pour over brisket. Cover and
- cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add cabbage; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until meat and
- vegetables are tender. Strain and discard cloves; serve pan juices
- with corned beef and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.