Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 8 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small head cabbage
- 1. In a small bowl, combine first four ingredients; set aside. In a Dutch oven, place corned beef and seasoning packet. Add onions, water and apple juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove brisket from cooking liquid and place in a greased roasting pan. Rub sugar mixture over warm meat.
- 3. Bake 15 minutes. Meanwhile, add carrots to cooking liquid. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Cut cabbage into eight wedges, leaving a portion of the core on each wedge; add to carrots. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Thinly slice meat; serve with vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 304 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 978 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.