Corned Beef 'n' Cabbage Recipe
Have a St. Paddy's Day celebration for two with this traditional combo. You'll savor the flavor whether you're Irish or not. —Connie Lou Blommers, Pella, Iowa
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 small head cabbage
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1. Place brisket and contents of spice packet in a large saucepan. Add onion, water and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Transfer brisket to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; reserve cooking liquid. Combine the brown sugar, orange peel, mustard and cloves; rub over meat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut cabbage into four wedges, leaving a portion of the core attached to each wedge. Add cabbage and carrots to cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Thinly slice corned beef; serve with vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC