Corned Beef 'n' Cabbage Recipe
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 small head cabbage
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Place brisket and contents of spice packet in a large saucepan. Add onion, water and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Transfer brisket to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; reserve cooking liquid. Combine the brown sugar, orange peel, mustard and cloves; rub over meat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut cabbage into four wedges, leaving a portion of the core attached to each wedge. Add cabbage and carrots to cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Thinly slice corned beef; serve with vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Corned Beef 'n' Cabbage(20)
Sort By :
the easiest reciep
@ SKATER1 This is like complaining about the saltiness of prosciutto or pancetta. Corned beef by it's very nature is salty. (It after all salt cured meat.) Given this I am surpised that you tried the recipe. I believe that no modification will satisfy you. Find another dish is the only advice I can offer
This is fantastic! I added two large red potatoes cut into 2 inch chunks and cooked them with the carrots and cabbage. We had left overs but they did not last long. I had some of the corned beef and potatoes for breakfast next morning. I cut them into small diced pieces, melted a Tbsp of butter in a skillet and warmed them up and ate them with my eggs. Best Corned Beef Dinner I ever made.
What happened to the potatoes? It's not a true Irish corned beef n cabbage dinner without potatoes.
Married to a farmer who loves corn beef, for the ratio of being too much does nobody freeze? Comment on the flavor not the portions, or judge for yourself. It is awesome!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Corned Beef >
- Corned Beef Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >