Corned Beef & Cabbage for the Wine Lover
With its elegant flavor and lovely appearance, you'd never guess how easy it is to prepare this traditional St. Patrick's Day favorite. Thanks to the slow-cooker, it comes together effortlessly. —Susan F. Cepeda, M. Lakes, Florida
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 3/4 pound fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or beef broth
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into thin wedges
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- In a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, carrots, onions
- and garlic. Pour wine over vegetables. Cut brisket in half. Spread
- with mustard; place over vegetables (discard spice packet from
- corned beef or save for another use).
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are
- tender, adding cabbage and sauerkraut during the last hour of
- cooking. Serve beef with vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 5 ounces cooked beef with 1-1/2 cups vegetables equals 592 calories, 32 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 156 mg cholesterol, 2,712 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 35 g protein.