- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canned Mexicorn, drained
- 2 slices process American cheese, diced
- 2 green pepper rings, cut into strips
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, tomato juice, oats, onion, salt, chili powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into an ungreased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in corn and cheese until cheese is melted.
- Pour over meat loaf; top with green pepper strips. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Corn-Topped Meat Loaf in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p9
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Corn-Topped Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review