- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 4 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 bacon strip, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- PICO DE GALLO:
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Rub corn with canola oil; sprinkle with seasonings. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning frequently. Cool slightly; cut corn from cobs and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and bacon for 5 minutes; add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add corn, milk, chilies, cumin and oregano; heat through. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Combine pico de gallo ingredients. Serve with soup and tortilla strips. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Corn Soup with Pico de Gallo
"I used almond milk and it worked beautifully."
"EXCELLENT!!! It is WONDERFUL!"
"VERY GOOD TASTING"
"It was very easy to make & the flavor is fantastic. I like the recipe as it stands but one could always add a bit of chicken in this too. It's a keeper!"
"This is a very easy to make, delicious soup that contains such a variety of flavors that your taste buds a tripping over each other trying to grab the next taste. Do not skip the Pico de Gallo because it is easy but adds a really nice punch to the dish."