Corn Seafood Chowder Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, green pepper, celery and onion in oil and butter over medium heat for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in seafood seasoning and bay leaf. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add flour; stir until vegetables are coated. Gradually stir in the broth. Add milk and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in shrimp and crab; cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 11 servings.
1 cup equals 200 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 836 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.