Corn Seafood Chowder Recipe
"I lightened up this recipe by using less oil and reduced-fat milk," Naomi Tarr of Salisbury, Maryland says of her savory soup. "The original call for crabmeat, but my family prefers it with shrimp and imitation crab instead."
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- In a large Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, green pepper, celery and onion in oil and butter over medium heat for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in seafood seasoning and bay leaf. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add flour; stir until vegetables are coated. Gradually stir in the broth. Add milk and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in shrimp and crab; cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Corn Seafood Chowder in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Corn Seafood Chowder(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2012
I use this recipe as a base and made a few changes as to quantity like one can of corn to cut down the amount it made.
More Recipe Collections
- Chowder Recipes >
- Corn Chowder Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >