This recipe is special because I was able to take a delectable, but somewhat complicated, appetizer recipe and turn it into a salad that's easy to make and transport. Adjust the jalapeno and chipotles to suit your spiciness level.—Richi Reynolds, Scottsboro, Alabama
- TAMALE CROUTONS:
- 3 cups frozen corn, divided
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- CHIPOTLE RANCH DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 6 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, well drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled jicama
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Place 2 cups corn in food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Add the butter, sugar and salt; cover and process until blended. Stir in masa harina and flour until a soft dough forms; fold in remaining corn. Using wet hands, press dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Score the dough into 1-in. squares. Bake 4-6 minutes longer or until golden brown. Immediately cut along the scored lines; cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes, onion, jicama, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat; gently stir in avocados. Sprinkle with cheese and croutons. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Fiesta Corn Salad in Mexican Bookazine 2012, p96
Reviews for Corn Salad with Tamale Croutons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review