Corn Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
The lightly dressed salad and the colorful presentation in the tomato shell make this a great summer side dish that is sure to bring on the raves. The basil flavor is compatible with all the ingredients and the salad is especially tasty with a barbecue entrée.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 large ear sweet corn
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving
- 1/2-in. shells. Seed and chop enough of the pulp to equal 1 cup
- (discard any remaining pulp or save for another use). Place chopped
- tomato and tomato cups, inverted, on paper towels to drain.
- In a large saucepan, cook corn in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or
- until tender. Drain and immediately place corn in ice water; drain.
- Cut corn off cob.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn, chopped tomato, onion and basil.
- In another bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, garlic salt and pepper.
- Pour over corn mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for
- 30 minutes. Spoon into tomato cups. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 stuffed tomato equals 84 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 127 mg sodium,