Corn Puff Caramel Corn
Because you don't need to pop the corn or use a candy thermometer, this is faster and easier than more traditional caramel corn recipes. To avoid messy cleanup, consider using a disposable aluminum roasting pan.
Caroline Monroe, Clinton, Wisconsin
20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) Puffcorn curls or popped popcorn
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Place Puffcorn curls and peanuts in a large roasting pan; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the butter, brown sugar and corn
- syrup to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook for 2 minutes. Remove
- from the heat and add baking soda; stir well (mixture will foam up).
- Pour over corn curl mixture and toss well to coat.
- Bake at 250° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread
- on waxed paper to cool. Break apart and store in airtight
- containers. Yield: 5 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 240 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.