We live quite far north and nothing warms us up on cold days like warm breads and rolls. This wonderful recipe comes from a dear friend.
24-26 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Cook: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large saucepan,
- heat the milk, cornmeal, oil, sugar and salt to 110°-115°,
- add to yeast mixture. Add corn, eggs and 6 cups flour; beat until
- smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease
- top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
- half. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into
- 3-in. x 1-1/2-in. strips.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop dough strips in