Corn Okra Creole
This dish is representative of my area of the country, and particularly the Texas-Louisiana border. The okra, corn and Creole seasonings are all popular here.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn or 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole-kernel corn
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sliced okra or 1 package (16 ounces) frozen okra
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender.
- Add corn and okra; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, salt, pepper and pepper
- sauce if desired. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 147 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19 mg sodium,