This dish is representative of my area of the country, and particularly the Texas-Louisiana border. The okra, corn and Creole seasonings are all popular here.
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn or 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole-kernel corn
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sliced okra or 1 package (16 ounces) frozen okra
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add corn and okra; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, salt, pepper and pepper sauce if desired. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Corn Okra Creole in Country Extra July 1990, p45
Reviews for Corn Okra Creole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2010
"I've never liked okra before, but this dish turned out really good! Leftovers reheat well."