Corn Muffins with Honey Butter Recipe
There's an interesting country story behind this recipe. I've worked at our local Farm Bureau office for 15 years. A friend on our women's committee developed it to give people new ideas for using farm commodities. I especially like preparing these muffins for my family on a winter night—along with a big pot of chili, they make for a very hearty meal! My husband and I have a farrow-to-finish hog operation here on the farm where he was born. We also grow several crops. One son farms with us, we have a grown daughter and our other son just graduated from high school.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- HONEY BUTTER:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, milk powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, combine the water, butter, eggs and lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat honey and softened butter until smooth. Serve with warm muffins. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 185 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC