Corn Leek Chowder Recipe
Leeks, onion, potatoes and cheese enrich Stacey Savoyski’s corn chowder. “I developed it for our meatless Christmas Eve meal,” she adds from Southbury, Connecticut.
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the leeks, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes and dill; cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Stir in corn and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer. Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in cream. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Yield: 4 cups.
1 cup: 234 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Corn Leek Chowder
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC