Corn Ice Cream
You have to give this novel ice cream a try. It’s actually made with corn, sweetly flavored by vanilla extract and maple syrup. I plan to make this surprising treat every summer.—Diana Burrink, Crete, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling Process: 15 min. + freezing
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and syrup until
- bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot
- mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°. Quickly
- transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir
- in corn and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Strain custard, discarding corn. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer
- two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze
- for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 221 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.