Corn Hill Corn Bread
I named this recipe after the wooded hill that we can see from our house. It is said that the pilgrims discovered a cache of Indian corn here in Truro, near the tip of Cape Cod, that enabled them to survive their first harsh winter in the New World.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh corn, cooked
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt,
- coriander, ginger, thyme and mace. In a small bowl, lightly beat
- egg. Add milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until
- combined. Fold in corn. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or
- until done. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 232 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium,