Corn Fritters Recipe
DURING the Depression, we made do with what we had. Mother always looked for ways to add variety to our meals, and these corn fritters were her special treat. She served them as a bread or a vegetable. No matter how they were presented, their hearty taste complemented any meal. —Auton Miller Piney Flats, Tennessee
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and paprika. In another bowl, beat egg yolk; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture and mix well. Beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into flour mixture.
- 2. In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 2-4 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC