Corn Fritters with Caramelized Onion Jam Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 can (11 ounces) gold and white corn, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until golden brown. Add vinegar; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the jelly, tomatoes, tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Add onion mixture. Cook and stir for 3 minutes; set aside and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the baking mix, corn, eggs, milk, sour cream and salt just until combined.
- 4. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil; fry for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with jam. Yield: 2 dozen (3/4 cup jam).
1 each: 130 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Corn Fritters with Caramelized Onion Jam
"These were a nice side dish with our barbecued ribs. I don't fry much at all anymore,so this was really different."
"Crispy on the outside, with a fluffy center and pops of sweet corn, these corn fritters are the perfect little bite to accompany a variety of meals."