Corn Fritters with Caramelized Onion Jam Recipe
A friend's husband, who's a chef, came up with these light and fluffy fritters accompanied perfectly by a sweet-tart jam. I would never ask a chef to divulge his secrets, so I created my own version. I serve them with soups and barbecued chicken or pork. —Kim Cupo Albany, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 can (11 ounces) gold and white corn, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until golden brown. Add vinegar; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the jelly, tomatoes, tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Add onion mixture. Cook and stir for 3 minutes; set aside and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the baking mix, corn, eggs, milk, sour cream and salt just until combined.
- 4. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil; fry for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with jam. Yield: 2 dozen (3/4 cup jam).
1 fritter with 1-1/2 teaspoons jam equals 130 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC