Corn Dumplings Recipe
Cornmeal and kernel corn give a double dose of harvest flavor to the soft dumplings. I serve them with chicken and gravy.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1. In a saucepan, combine cornmeal, salt and water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until very thick. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in corn, butter, onion and pepper; let stand for 3 minutes. Add egg; mix well. In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour and baking powder. Add to cornmeal mixture; beat well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in remaining flour to lightly coat. In a Dutch oven or kettle, bring broth to a boil. Add dumplings. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 8-9 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 178 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,498 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Corn Dumplings
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC