Corn Dog Casserole Recipe
Reminiscent of traditional corn dogs, this fun main dish really hits the spot on fall days. It's perfect for the football parties my husband and I often host. It tastes especially good right from the oven. -Marcy Suzanne Olipane, Belleville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 pounds hot dogs
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a small skillet, saute celery in butter 5 minutes. Add onions; saute 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Place in a large bowl; set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In the same skillet, saute hot dogs 5 minutes or until lightly browned; add to vegetables. Set aside 1 cup.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sage and pepper. Add remaining hot dog mixture. Stir in corn bread mixes. Add 1-1/2 cups cheese. Spread into a shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with reserved hot dog mixture and remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 389 calories, 28 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 925 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC