I developed this soup out of two others to create my own low-calorie recipe. It turned out so well that I entered it in my county fair and won a blue ribbon. —Alyce Wyman, Pembina, ND
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cubed reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Place a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add potatoes, carrot, water, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn, 1-1/4 cups milk and bacon. In a small bowl, mix flour and remaining milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in beer and, if desired, liquid smoke; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Corn Chowder with Potatoes in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014
Reviews for Corn Chowder with Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review