Corn Chowder with Bacon Recipe
My husband loves this soup on cold winter days, which are plentiful here in Michigan! He's not a fan of veggies, but he gobbles them up in this soup!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and green pepper until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add corn. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 362 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 738 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC