Corn Chowder with Bacon Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and green pepper until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add corn. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup: 362 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein .
Reviews for Corn Chowder with Bacon
"Yum! Hearty, tasty, would definitely make this again!The broth I used had no salt so I added a touch more, and added a few shakes of white pepper to round out the flavor.Excellent!"