- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and green pepper until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add corn. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Bacon Corn Chowder in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p102
Reviews for Corn Chowder with Bacon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2013
"Yum! Hearty, tasty, would definitely make this again!The broth I used had no salt so I added a touch more, and added a few shakes of white pepper to round out the flavor.Excellent!"