- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and green pepper until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add corn. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Bacon Corn Chowder in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p102
Reviews for Corn Chowder with Bacon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2013
"Yum! Hearty, tasty, would definitely make this again!The broth I used had no salt so I added a touch more, and added a few shakes of white pepper to round out the flavor.Excellent!"