Corn Cakes with Poached Eggs and Mango Salsa Recipe
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- CORN CAKES:
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- POACHED EGGS:
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the mango, salsa, cilantro and onion; set aside.
- 2. Separate two eggs. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the remaining eggs, egg yolks, cream-style corn, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in corn and onions. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 3. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- 5. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water. Serve with corn cakes and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 455 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 392mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein .
Reviews for Corn Cakes with Poached Eggs and Mango Salsa
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC