- In a small bowl, combine the mango, salsa, cilantro and onion; set
- Separate two eggs. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal,
- baking powder, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the remaining
- eggs, egg yolks, cream-style corn, milk and butter. Stir into dry
- ingredients just until blended. Fold in corn and onions. In a small
- bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Cook for 2-3
- minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides;
- add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break
- cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the
- cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still
- soft, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water.
- Serve with corn cakes and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 corncakes with 1 egg and 1/4 cup salsa equals 455 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 392 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.