These easy corn cakes are super tender thanks to the creamed corn in the batter. Top them with poached eggs and fresh salsa, and you get one of my favorite breakfasts. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
Featured In: 21 Dishes with an Egg on Top
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- CORN CAKES:
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- In a small bowl, combine all salsa ingredients; let stand at room temperature while preparing corn cakes.
- In a large bowl, mix corn, muffin mix and water. Lightly grease a griddle; heat over medium heat. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large saucepan or skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl; holding bowl close to surface of water, slip egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water. Serve with corn cakes and salsa. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Corn Cakes with Poached Eggs in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p75
Reviews for Corn Cakes with Poached Eggs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review