Corn Bread with Black-Eyed Peas Recipe
Black-eyed peas are a good-luck tradition for New Year's Day...but my family is so fond of this recipe, I make it all year long!—Jeanne Shinn, Bandera, Texas
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cream-style corn
- 1 cup cooked or canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until bread is golden. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 419 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC