- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk.
- Place butter in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; heat skillet in a 425° oven for 3-5 minutes or until butter is melted. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in peppers and bacon.
- Carefully swirl the butter in the skillet to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Corn Bread with a Kick
"I would make two changes. First, NO SUGAR, next plain milk instead of buttermilk. Also it isn't corn bread unless it is baked in a cast iron skillet."
"My son loved it. Requests it all the time. It's spicy without being overpowering. Has a nice little zing. The bacon and peppers together are a great flavor. Is now in my personal recipes."