Corn Bread with a Kick Recipe
"Nothing says Southern cooking like crisp corn bread made in a cast iron skillet. I use a very old skillet that belonged to my great-aunt. It will be passed on for generations." Geordyth Sullivan Cutler Bay, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk.
- 2. Place butter in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; heat skillet in a 425° oven for 3-5 minutes or until butter is melted. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in peppers and bacon.
- 3. Carefully swirl the butter in the skillet to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 wedge equals 174 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC