Corn Bread-Topped Frijoles Recipe
“My family often requests this economical, slow-cooker favorite. It's loaded with fresh Southwestern flavors. One batch makes several servings-but it never lasts long at our house!” —Suzanne Caldwell, Artesia, New Mexico
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- CORN BREAD TOPPING:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, corn and oil; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- 4. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center of corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 367 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 708 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Corn Bread-Topped Frijoles
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC