After seeing a recipe for a slow cooker chicken potpie, I knew I had to try it. I loved the idea of a no-fuss chicken casserole, but wanted a Southwestern taste. I added peppers, spices and a crust that is more like a corn bread topping.—Nicole Filizetti, Grand Marais, Michigan
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, toss chicken with cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir into bean mixture. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and remaining salt. Stir in milk and remaining oil. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chicken mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Corn Bread-Topped Chicken Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Corn Bread-Topped Chicken Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review