- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomato sauce, water, green pepper and taco seasoning. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions for corn bread. Stir in half of the onions. Spread over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Corn Bread Taco Bake
Sort By :
"Really easy to make. I used only 1/2 a green pepper as they sometimes overtake flavor. I did however add a small can of sliced black olives and chopped green chilies. Also, I'm sure I added more cheese to the top than necessary. I think these additions are probably why I avoided the dry problem some other reviewers had. The sweet corm bread and spicy meat went very well together. I probably won't make it monthly, but it will go on the comfort food list with tater tot casserole and others."
"SO easy to make, and I even tried a vegetarian version! I made a short little blog post about it, here: http://sisfor-samantha.blogspot.com/2014/05/mexican-cornbread-bake-great-pantry-dish.html I ran out of sour cream, or else that would've been SO yummy paired with this! Next time I'll try it with beef, but I'm looking forward to trying it with chicken, too!"
"Made many times very tasty and easy to make."
"Made this recipe exactly as stated. It was a little spicy to our liking, however, after putting a dollop of sour cream on top it cut the spicy taste a bit. I have other recipes that call for the taco seasoning mix and I usually don't use the whole packet. Also, thought it was a little dry. Would have liked a little more moisture. May experiment with a smaller, deeper dish so the mixture is not so spread out and may not dry out as much."
"I didn't have any of the french fried onions on hand so I used chopped green onions in the cornbread mix and on top with the cheddar cheese. Yummo!!"