- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomato sauce, water, green pepper and taco seasoning. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions for corn bread. Stir in half of the onions. Spread over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Corn Bread Taco Bake
Sort By :
"Made this tonight and it was very good! I added a 4 ounce can of green chiles to add a little spice, but that is the only change I made. I also like the idea of adding black beans. Will try that the next time. I will be making this again and again."
"nice change from tacos!"
"As a volunteer food editor I read through the reviews before preparing. Glad I did! At the suggestion of another reviewer I added a can of black beans. This made a very large dish that easily fead a house full of hungry teenagers. Plus, easily reheated for late-comers. For dessert we had ToH recipe for Cinnamon Cream Cheese Squares. A perfect evening!"
"Really easy to make. I used only 1/2 a green pepper as they sometimes overtake flavor. I did however add a small can of sliced black olives and chopped green chilies. Also, I'm sure I added more cheese to the top than necessary. I think these additions are probably why I avoided the dry problem some other reviewers had. The sweet corm bread and spicy meat went very well together. I probably won't make it monthly, but it will go on the comfort food list with tater tot casserole and others."
"SO easy to make, and I even tried a vegetarian version! I made a short little blog post about it, here: http://sisfor-samantha.blogspot.com/2014/05/mexican-cornbread-bake-great-pantry-dish.html I ran out of sour cream, or else that would've been SO yummy paired with this! Next time I'll try it with beef, but I'm looking forward to trying it with chicken, too!"