Corn Bread Sausage Stuffing
I made this recipe over 45 years ago for the first pheasant I ever roasted—it was a special dinner I prepared to thank a wonderful sister and brother-in-law for all of their help when we bought our first home. To this day, it's a favorite with our friends and family when they come to visit.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 4 hours
- 1 pound mild or hot bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sage
- 5 cups crumbled yellow corn bread
- In a frying pan, cook the sausage until done. Remove sausage and set
- aside; drain any fat. Melt butter; saute onion and celery until
- crisp-tender. Combine vegetables with bread crumbs, eggs,
- seasonings, corn bread and sausage. Stuff into a turkey or Cornish
- game hens; roast according to your favorite recipe. Yield: Stuffing
- is enough for a 12-16 pound turkey or 8-10 (1-1/2 pounds each)
- Cornish game hens.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 426 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 846 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.