Corn Bread Muffins
Corn Bread Muffins are great with any meal, assures Louise Rowe, who has worked in Piqua, Ohio cafeteria for more than 20 years.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine
- buttermilk, applesauce, egg whites and oil; stir into the dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin
- cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until
- muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire
- rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One muffin equals 1 starch, 1 fat; also, 118 calories, 264 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol 20 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 3 gm fat.