Corn Bread Loaf
WE LIKE corn bread with our chili, and this makes just enough for two people. I received the recipe from a quilting friend at church and have shared it with many others.
Another way that my husband and I like eating corn bread is straight out of the oven, buttered and topped with syrup.
-Edna Bjork, Norwalk, Iowa
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and
- salt. In another bowl, blend egg, milk and shortening; stir into dry
- ingredients. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at
- 425° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from the pan and
- serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 118 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.