- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 10 slices bread, toasted and cubed
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/3 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules or 1-1/2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon each poultry seasoning, dried basil and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and dried thyme
- For corn bread, in a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine the water, milk, egg substitute and oil. Stir into flour mixture just until blended. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool and crumble into a large bowl.
- For stuffing, stir bread cubes into corn bread crumbs. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook celery and onion in oil for about 6 minutes or until tender. Stir into corn bread mixture.
- In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in water. In a large bowl, combine the broth, egg substitute, seasonings and bouillon mixture. Pour over corn bread mixture; Toss to coat evenly. Yield: 13 servings.
Originally published as Corn Bread Dressing in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p19
Reviews for Corn Bread Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review