Corn and Squash Soup Recipe
- 12 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 2 cans (8-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In the drippings, saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the squash, corn, cream, parsley, salt, pepper and bacon. Cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups: 381 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Corn and Squash Soup
"This soup is delicious although I made a few changes. I didn't use any bacon at all. I simply sauteed a red onion with a little grapeseed oil then added 4 chopped up yellow squash. That cooked for some minutes. Then I added 4 fresh ears of corn from the cob. Next I added a cup and a half of heavy cream and let that cook for a few minutes. I put the ingredients into the blender until smooth, then poured it back into the skillet to heat through. Add salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Voila, very tasty."
"Very good soup. Will make again. Didn't change a thing."
"Wow, this was so good. I was a little leery of the squash/corn combo but it was fantastic. I didn't really like it with the sour cream."
"Delicious and filling soup. The dollop of sour cream on top is a nice addition."
"Delicious and filling soup. The dollop of sour cream on top is a nice garnish."
"Made this last night and it was so delicious! I only used one cup of buttermilk. This will become a staple fall soup in our house."
"I've made this soup once and it was so good. My husband and kids loved it. Will make it again soon."
"I like to make all kinds of soup,but my nephew said this is the best. He wants me to make a double batch for hunting camp."
"The taste is fantastic. Now that I've said that, I have to say that this recipe needs some alteration unless you want something the texture of baby food (my 7 month old loved it!) Next time I make this I will at least double the amount of broth, and drop the amount of squash to 4 cups. I don't think that will make my husband like it any better, but it will make it be soup and my older girls might be more interested in it."
"One of my husband's favorite soups! I love it too, and I don't usually care for squash!"
"I was surprised that the flavor of the squash didn't shine through more than it did. But it was a delicious soup. One I'll look forward to making every fall when butternut squash makes it's apprearance at the farmer's market!"
"Made this last night and the family loved it. I used Turkey Bacon and it was delicious. Will definitely make again. Thank you"
"This recipe was fabulous! It was easy and delicious. Everyone loved it. Its a perfect fall recipe!"
"This was a hit for the family. They want it for Christmas Eve. I did not add the cream, I only had skin milk and it tasted just fine. Yummy"
"I did make a few changes. I added a few tablespoons of chopped red pepper- substituted milk for the cream and did not need to add any flour. It was quite thick without it. Nice change for butternut squash. Will make it again for sure."
"This soup is exellent. I used mik instead of the half and half and it still tastes very good"
"Loved this thick tasty soup. We lightened it up by using fat free Half & Half and turkey bacon."