Corn and Spinach Souffle
This is an easy, foolproof souffle— you just need to make sure the vegetables and sauce are cool before adding the eggs. I've made this many times for guests and always receive compliments, even from people who don't like spinach.
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min.
- 1-3/4 cups fresh or frozen corn, cooked
- 1-1/4 cups chopped cooked spinach (well drained)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- Combine corn and spinach; set aside. In a saucepan over low heat,
- melt butter. Add flour and stir to make a smooth paste. Stir in
- salt. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until
- thickened. Cool. Combine eggs, pimientos and onion; fold into cooled
- butter mixture. Fold in corn and spinach.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 45-50 minutes or until done. Slice to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 152 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 571 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.