Corn and Sausage Soup Recipe
I created this recipe about 12 years ago when I received ab abundance of fresh sweet corn from friends. The soup is easy to make and has always been a big hit with family and friends. I usually serve it with bread and a tossed salad.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup each chopped green pepper, sweet red pepper and celery
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) Italian-style tomato sauce
- 3 packages (16 ounces each) frozen corn
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions, peppers and celery in butter until tender. Add sausage and garlic; cook for 8-10 minutes or until heated.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves before serving. Yield: 16-18 servings (about 5 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 201 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 683 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC