Corn and Sausage Chowder
I've had several cooking "teachers" over the years—my Irish grandmother...my mother...and the restaurant, my husband and I operated in Manitoba at one time!
8 ServingsPrep: 70 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 ears fresh corn, husked and cleaned
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 medium onions, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers with seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- Using a small sharp knife, cut corn from cobs; set corn aside. Place
- the corncobs, cream, broth, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and 1/2 cup
- onions in a large saucepan. Heat almost to boiling. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard corncobs. Strain cream mixture through a sieve set
- over a large bowl, pressing solids with back of spoon. Discard
- solids and reserve corn broth.