Here's a delicious way to present barley at its best. Instead of being lost in a sea of other ingredients in a soup or stew, that basic grain plays a starring role in the delicious chilled salad created by our Test Kitchen staff. Sweet corn and red pepper lend it a summery taste and color. Try taking a bowl to pass at your next picnic.
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a saucepan, combine the water, barley and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until barley is just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, halve pepper; remove stem and seeds. Broil pepper skin side up 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters and blackens, about 8-10 minutes. Immediately place pepper in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Chop pepper.
- In a bowl, combine corn, 1/2 cup onions, Parmesan, roasted pepper and barley. In another bowl, combine vinegar, water, lemon juice, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil. Pour over barley mixture; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Corn And Red Pepper Barley Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p33
Reviews for Corn and Red Pepper Barley Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review